What is Intel® Core™ vPro™ Technology Animation

Moritz moritz at headstrong.de
Sun Sep 22 20:56:48 PDT 2013

On 09/22/2013 04:05 AM, d.nix wrote:

> Hah hah hah. Uh, reading between the lines, color me *skeptical* that
> this is really what it claims to be, given the current understanding
> of things...
>
> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/enterprise-security/what-is-vpro-technology-video.html
>
> ---

Security Evaluation of Intel's Active Management Technology
VASSILIOS VERVERIS

Master of Science Thesis
Stockholm, Sweden 2010

[...]
During production AMT platforms are equipped with one or more active
embedded hashed root certificates (factory default) from various SSL
vendors worldwide.
[...]
In our laboratory environment (see section 3) we have tested and found
that the ZTC remote provisioning can be implemented even while the Intel
AMT functionality is disabled within the BIOS as illustrated in Figure
3.6. Surprisingly the AMT platform broadcasts an ARP request packet upon
connecting to a wired network (typically a LAN) and follows the sequence
described in section 3.7.1. From this point and beyond the attacker
operates the SCS and could manipulate the PC according to his/her
malicious activities (see section 3.7.5) even while the Intel AMT is
disabled in BIOS.

http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:508256/FULLTEXT01