Jim Bell's fiber-optic patent application.

CryptoFreak cryptofreak at cpunk.us
Sun Sep 22 14:44:07 PDT 2013

On 09/21/2013 06:46 PM, Jim Bell wrote:
> *From:* CryptoFreak <cryptofreak at cpunk.us>
>
>>I completely support the idea of disloyalty oaths. The only problem I
>>see is that they simply wouldn't work. What we'd see is the government
>>putting increased threat of criminal prosecution on the corporate chain
>>and not enough corporate officers willing to risk going to jail in order
>>to do the right thing. Marissa Mayer from Yahoo said as much in her
>>Techcrunch interview last week.
>
> Consider:  Let's suppose there's a person in the Justice Department,
> I'll call him "Ed Justice" (in honor of Ed Snowden) with access to that
> order, who decides to leak a copy of the court order to Cryptome,
> Wikileaks, etc, a couple of days after it is served on the target media
> corporation.  (He may do so for reasons of malice, or perhaps
> benevolence:  He WANTS the order to leak, because he doesn't agree with
> the practice.)   The usual 9-by-12 brown envelope with no return
> address, only stamps, careful to avoid fingerprints, etc.  The
> leak-publisher(s) publishes the order.  How does the government prove
> that the lead was done by the target media corporation, and not by
> somebody else?  A criminal prosecution requires evidence, and none will
> exist.
> In addition, there is an excellent argument that any order of secrecy is
> an obvious violation of the First Amendment to the US Constitution.  I
> don't recall reading any justification for such orders in any legal
> cases, but I think that this would be on flimsy legal ground.

Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic but I can't imagine this kind of
thing happening on a routine basis. If anything, it looks like the
government is closing ranks and increasing the indoctrination of their
employees. I fear that we're going to see fewer and fewer people with
the courage of Edward Snowden as we move forward.

It's nice to think that conscience will win in the end but I honestly am
starting to see just the opposite. This is why I think we're going to
need groups like Anonymous and others who are willing to do straight
infiltration in order to find the truth. We can't rely on those who are
already in government to get a fit of conscience.

CryptoFreak