motivation & organizational criminality (Re: Jim Bell's fiber-optic patent application.)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Sun Sep 22 01:32:31 PDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 11:18:19AM +0200, Adam Back wrote:
>I'd say one problem is cultural amongst the security cleared and ex-TLA
>people with security people or current double agent security people on the
>telco payroll.
>
>Until they internalize that they are part of a dangerous to democracy and
>civilization STASI 2.0 system, the problem will continue [..] the main hope
>which is probably fairly slim, is that society views shift to make even
>those ex-TLA people start to question whether they are on the right side of
>history to the extent they have any ethics.

Hmm maybe the chances are not so slim that the NSA people, and/or their
families are indeed starting to question their being on the right side of
history (eg that building STASI 2.0 is not a fantastic idea for the future
of society and democracy over this century).

The NSA seems to be worried anyway (skip to the leaked letter, to literally
'employees and family of NSA', at the bottom of this article):

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2013/09/19/nsa-sends-letter-to-its-extended-family-to-reassure-them-that-they-will-weather-this-storm/

Maybe public peer pressure and a call to ethics can achieve something after
all!

Adam