[Cryptography] prism proof email, namespaces, and anonymity

David D david at 7tele.com
Wed Sep 18 15:27:00 PDT 2013

A slight drift OT...

Email services with limited market penetration, not backed by dollars, and
brutalized by a smear campaign stating that the service is -only- used by
criminals, terrrrrists, etc. will limit its reach quickly.   With a limited
reach you then have a much easier target for the govt.   If I was a deviant
working for the NSA I would create a selector for all people using:
@prism-proof-email.com and spend a great deal of effort trying to break it.
They could also simply seize the domain or deliver a piece of paper
requesting all of the data.

One goal that we should all work for is to have ALL e-mail transport methods
encrypted.   This would create mountains of encrypted data and provide a
level of protection for all email that is now is lacking.   I am
specifically referring to TLS on SMTP, POP3, and IMAP.

This would require education on the systems side, working with the Linux/BSD
distributions to make TLS enabled by default, and to generate the cert/key
on install (unique per install please).

As a real world example...  I received a support ticket response last week
that included account information, logins, etc. and it was delivered to my
mail server without a TLS connection.  Aside from the obvious issue of
sending the data in an e-mail, they are sending all ticket responses
entirely in the clear on port 25.   What year is it?

A similar discussion for HTTP is also worthwhile.   Namely, TLS1.2 available
on all clients (Hello Firefox) and support for TLS1.2/PFS on the server side
(Apache 2.4).