[cryptography] regarding the NSA crypto "breakthrough"

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 11:38:38 PDT 2013

On 9/5/13, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> of all the no such agency disclosures, this one fuels the most wild
> speculation.
> """
> James Bamford, a veteran chronicler of the NSA, describes the agency
> """

Links to links to source quotes...
http://lists.randombit.net/pipermail/cryptography/2013-June/004477.html
http://lists.randombit.net/pipermail/cryptography/2013-June/004523.html

> however, the crypto breakthrough discussed is more mundane:

Source? Sure, non-PFS can be exploited. But extending that
as underlying explanation of the Bamford quote is dangerous.
It's Bamford's quote, ask him.

>  deployment of deep packet inspection with SSL/TLS capabilities.[0]

I'd call it 'applied decrypting' not some breakthrough in 'cryptanalyze'ing
or 'break'ing any crypto. Words are important.