Spy Files: New WikiLeaks docs expose secretive, unruly surveillance industry

Kyle Maxwell kylem at xwell.org
Thu Sep 5 08:31:53 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Dan White <dwhite at olp.net> wrote:
> On 09/05/13 10:02 -0400, John Young wrote:
>>
>> Coda: Free the Snowden docs, end censoring, peddling and
>> lying about them like spies. That's you I'm talking about
>> WikiLeaks, Guardian, Der Spiegel, Washington Post, O Globo,
>> New York Times, ProPublica, end your secretive commercial
>> spy aiding.
>

> I don't get the idea that releasing the Snowden docs in bulk and unfiltered
> is entirely up to the media outlets listed. My guess is Snowden himself is
> doing much of the metering. The slow, but consistent, rate of blockbuster
> headlines is resulting in a punctuated evolutionary change in the public's
> view of what the NSA is doing.

The journalists (like Barton Gellman) working on the releases have
specifically stated that Snowden's not doing this. According to
Gellman[0], Snowden passed them the docs with fairly minimal
instructions ("select for news and avoid damage"). One could certainly
disbelieve Gellman, but there's the assertion nonetheless.

[0]: https://twitter.com/bartongellman/status/373143485215670272

--
@kylemaxwell