[cryptography] The Compromised Internet

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 13:50:41 PDT 2013

On 9/25/13, John Young <jya at pipeline.com> wrote:
> Now that it appears the Internet is compromised what other
> means can rapidly deliver tiny fragments of an encrypted
> message, each unique for transmission, then reassembled
> upon receipt, kind of like packets but much smaller and less
> predictable, dare say random?
>
> The legacy transceiver technologies prior to the Internet or
> developed parallel to it, burst via radio, microwave, EM emanations,
> laser, ELF, moon or planetary bounce, spread spectrum, ELF,
> hydro, olfactory, quanta, and the like.
>
> Presumably if these are possible they will remain classified, kept
> in research labs for advanced study, or shelved for future use.

There is a spread spectrum radio tech where you broadcast on
essentially all frequencies / wideband at once. To the eavesdropper
it appears as simply a rise in unlocatable background noise levels.
Yet there is a twist... you and your peer posess a crypto key. That
key is used to select and form a broadcast/reception frequency map
over the entire spectrum. You drive it with software radio. Think of the
map as a vertically slotted grille mask over your spectrum analyzer.
The grille spacing/width/overlap is random. What you see is your
distributed signal hidden in the noise. Pass it down your stack
for further processing and decoding.

It's been a while since I've seen this described, whether formally, or
applied. Link to paper[s] covering the topic would be appreciated.