[RISKS] Risks Digest 27.48

Tue Sep 24 14:57:11 PDT 2013

RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Tuesday 24 September 2013  Volume 27 : Issue 48

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, moderator, chmn ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/27.48.html>
The current issue can be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
Girl's Suicide Points to Rise in Apps Used by Cyberbullies (Lizette Alvarez
  via Monty Solomon)
Police: BMW Door Locks Contributed To 14-Year-Old Girl's Death (Erik Rosales
  via Lauren Weinstein)
Another major government IT failure (Peter Bernard Ladkin)
United Airlines Agrees to Honor Accidental $0 Tickets (Joshua Freed via
  Monty Solomon)
Million Second Quiz gets overloaded (Paul Robinson)
Fake online reviews crackdown in New York sees 19 companies fined
  (Lauren Weinstein)
"Verizon's diabolical plan to turn the Web into pay-per-view" (Bill Snyder
  via Gene Wirchenko)
Freedom and the Social Contract (Vint Cerf via Dave Farber)
WiReD: Apple's Fingerprint ID May Mean You Can't 'Take the Fifth'
  (Marcia Hoffman via Lauren Weinstein)
The US government has betrayed the Internet. We need to take it back
  (Bruce Schneier via Matthew Kruk)
FBI Admits It Controlled Tor Servers Behind Mass Malware Attack
  (Kevin Poulsen via Monty Solomon)
Gov't standards agency "strongly" discourages use of NSA-influenced
  algorithm (Larson and Elliott via Monty Solomon)
*The New York Times* provides new details about NSA backdoor (Ars Technica
  via David Farber)
Malware Mining Civil Aviation Data - AVweb flash Article (Gabe Goldberg)
E-ZPasses Get Read All Over New York, Not Just At Toll Booths (Kashmir Hill
  via Henry Baker)
"Adobe issues critical security updates for Flash Player, Reader and
   Shockwave Player" (Lucian Constantin via Gene Wirchenko)
"Microsoft pulls botched KB 2871630, while many Office patch  problems
  remain" (Woody Leonhard via Gene Wirchenko)
Sharing due to phone failure (Karl Goetz)
HuffPost Essay by Charles Perrow on Fukushima (John Bosley via Dave Farber)
BOOK: Rebecca Slayton, Arguments that Count (PGN)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)