Mailtap

Greg Broiles gbroiles at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 16:38:06 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Travis Biehn <tbiehn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance but can't a mainstream news organization (as defied
> by the FOIA law) just duplicate your FOIA request?

They could - this sort of hack/approach has been controversial recently in
the institutional FOIA community, where agencies may "aggregate" requests
that they believe are part of a concerted effort to avoid fees by having
multiple requestors each request subsets of the responsive records, since
small requests are often processed without fees.

The suggestion isn't that, exactly, but FOIA response units are aware
generally of efforts to reduce/avoid fees, so I wouldn't be surprised if
this approach met with resistance.

See
https://pressfreedomfoundation.org/blog/2013/09/time-doj%E2%80%99s-foia-cop-accused-me-engaging-vast-foia-conspiracyfor
more.