[tor-relays] Reimbursement of Exit Operators

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Sep 19 00:37:29 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from tor at t-3.net -----

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 19:29:26 -0400
From: tor at t-3.net
To: tor-relays at lists.torproject.org
Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Reimbursement of Exit Operators

Think bigger, say what?

Certain of the world's biggest and most well-funded intelligence
agencies hate personal privacy on the internet so much that they've
been going to extreme efforts to destroy it. They are packet sniffing
the NAPs and fiber backbones to pull out everything they can, they
hacked/broke HTTPS, they are backdoored into the big content
providers, they hacked the banking system, they are apparently 'in'
some hardware crypto chips - the list goes on -

They infiltrated the tech groups which were designing software and
hardware and sabotaged their work, making their crypto be
weaker/breakable and their systems easier to hack into. They use the
vulnerabilities they created to their own ends.

As of today, Tor appears to provide privacy, at least as far as the
.onion sites goes. Maybe it even works for it's entire function of
providing anonymous internet browsing.

'They' would definitely want to be IN this thing, because they either
want to compromise it, or if that doesn't work well enough, destroy
it. 'They' are known to infiltrate and be influential in getting what
they want. Literally, they are professionals at this. 'Getting to
know' the exit relay operators and identifying their bank accounts
would help facilitate things when it came time for them to make their
move.

In the context of September 2013, this whole thing is scary. It was
perhaps not scary in September of 2012, when we didn't know anything.

Also. It makes me wonder things when, for example, you say "Think
bigger" while pointing to a couple of potential dollars in someone's
pocket. Safeguarding the operators of the exit relays is a bigger deal
than chump change. I'm not making an honest accusation but, to the
people who are the most vocal in approving of this - you don't work
for the NSA, right? :)