[Cryptography] Bruce Schneier has gotten seriously spooked

CypherPunk cypherpunk at cpunk.us
Sun Sep 8 06:56:34 PDT 2013

On 09/08/2013 08:43 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Of course, you might well be right about the future direction they will
> have to travel because increasing volume in combination with better end
> to end protection must be a nightmare scenario for them.  But I don't
> see this move happening all that soon because a surprisingly large
> amount of the data in which they have an interest crosses our networks
> with very little protection.  And it seems even that which is protected
> has been kept open to their eyes by one means or another.

I believe we're headed back to the crypto wars of the 1990's. Except,
this time, the cypherpunks are going to have to battle both a technical
and a political adversary along with a fearful public who's easily
convinced of whatever the government wants them to believe.

Once end point security and end to end encryption get good enough to
keep them out, they'll start pushing for new laws requiring a backdoor.
The FBI tried this already only a few years ago.

Get ready for CryptoWars II. It's right around the corner.

Cypherpunk