[cryptography] Compositing Ciphers?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Sep 7 01:37:03 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Natanael <natanael.l at gmail.com> -----

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 02:53:22 +0200
From: Natanael <natanael.l at gmail.com>
To: noloader at gmail.com
Cc: Cryptography List <cryptography at randombit.net>
Subject: Re: [cryptography] Compositing Ciphers?

http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2012/02/multiple-encryption.html
Apparently it's called "cascade encryption" or "cascade encipherment",
and the implementations are apparently called "robust combiners". And
by the way, Truecrypt already lets you pick your chosen combo of AES
and two other ciphers.

I think you should worry about your PRNG and it's seed before you
focus on AES. Your key should both have enough entropy and be secret.
Is your PRNG backdoored already? And I'm guessing the cipher mode
probably matters a bit more than the exact choice of algorithm.

----- End forwarded message -----