PayPal freezes MailPile's account

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Sep 5 11:58:02 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 01:19:33PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 01:09:07PM +0200, rysiek wrote:
> > inb4 "why would they use PayPal" -- from what I've heard they didn't plan it
> > originally but it was brought in by popular demand.
>
> Why, why did they keep 45 kUSD worth of funds in an
> account run by known jerks? Friends don't let friends
> use PayPal.

Your first and second sentences don't go very well together, Eugen. :)

Using Paypal is not a bad idea; they're pretty efficient in terms of
fee percentage, their servers don't go down very often, and they have a
very large market presence in the US and a few other markets.  I
personally don't use any other standalone online payment system.

But, keeping a significant fraction of your capital in Paypal is a
terrible idea.  They have very little patience for innovative business
models, they have a poor track record of customer service, and their
default response to any surprise is to freeze the account balance.

Noisebridge automatically transfers our Paypal balance to our bank
account on a regular schedule (nightly, I think, but don't quote me.)

-andy