what to install on a secure communication device

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Sun Sep 1 14:44:51 PDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-31 at 10:47 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I'm looking to build a list for reasonably secure (no snake oil)
> ways to communicate (search, store, etc.). My ad hoc list so far is:
>
> Pidgin/OTR

OTR is good, but libpurple is a "rat's nest of zero days" according to
many (notably Jacob Applebaum), so I think I'd avoid it. Not sure what's
better though. Maybe irssi+otr?

> cables

Is there really enough peer review of this system for it to be useful?

> GnuNet

I think this is redundant with Retroshare -- but I'd probably prefer
GNUnet over RetroShare. GNUnet does f2f and p2p, and is developed by
really smart people with a great track record.

> No doubt I'm missing a lot. Any further suggestions?

      * Freenet -- also redundant with GNUnet, but better suited to
        censorship-proof storage.
      * Any async voice/video? Probably way easier to secure than
        real-time.

What's the endgame for this? Just a webpage with a list of stuff on it?
A livecd with stuff on it? With or without redundancy?

--
Sent from Ubuntu