[p2p-hackers] BitWeav: open P2P micropublishing

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Wed Sep 25 03:24:43 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Liam Edwards-Playne <liamzebedee@yahoo.com.au> -----

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:13:48 +1000
From: Liam Edwards-Playne <liamzebedee@yahoo.com.au>
To: p2p-hackers@lists.zooko.com
Subject: Re: [p2p-hackers] BitWeav: open P2P micropublishing

A good point about the SHA2-256 + RIPEMD-160 usage that I hadn't
considered. I'll change the design to use a single truncated SHA2-256
hash. As for length extension attacks, I don't believe I should be
concerned, should I? The transfer of messages within the network is
dependent on a defined protocol, so any extra bytes would just be
interpreted as a malformed message.

Out of interest, could you elaborate on the potential weaknesses in
the pairing?

As for a decentralised identity, it's an interesting problem, but I'll
be focusing on the micropublishing idea first. With my last project, I
delved into too many areas, trying to decentralise DNS, creating an
improved Kademlia DHT, providing a framework for P2P mutable
documents. Ultimately I built nothing (but learnt a lot).

Nonetheless I think technology develops too quickly to define any sort
of single specification for an online identity. The best we have are
public keys certified by webs of trust.