Charge for Pen Register Service? $600 per target per two months.

Jim Bell jamesdbell8@yahoo.com
Sun Sep 22 22:01:16 PDT 2013

The url  http://www.tdcaa.com/node/4813    includes the claim, "Additionally, telephone companies typically charge an average of $600 per target to conduct pens [registers]."  (Didn't say for how long, but I suppose it's two months.)    And, http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/08/millions-paid-prism-compliance/   said, "For example, Cox Communications charges $2,500 for a pen register/trap-and-trace order for 60 days."       Imagine how expensive it would be if the NSA got a bill for $600 per two months to conduct a 'pen register' (metadata) on your, and the same charge covering everyone else's, phone.  I'd suggest to the phone co.  that they charge that $600 per two months, then take $200 of that and give me the whizziest, unlimited-service around the world, the bestest service that I could possibly want, and make a $400 profit to boot!   Myself, I'd be far more comfortable if my metadata was being sold to the NSA if my full cell-phone
 bill was paid-for by them! In fact, at those prices, I'd want a second phone, too!  (Does this make me a sell-out?!?)

Interesting guide to telecoms to comply with the law:  http://www.kelleydrye.com/publications/client_advisories/0134/_res/id=Files/index=0/Lessons%20from%20the%20NSA%20Warrantless%20Wiretapping%20Controversy.pdf

I wonder if anybody has implemented a 'metadata-killer':  An app, perhaps, for a smartphone which accesses a 'telephone remailer':  A (friendly) MITM (Man in the Middle) which can be called, and will automatically forward the call based on encrypted-number data, and maintain the connection to the target phone number.  It would make collection of metadata much more difficult.   Companies which do internet phone calls would be obvious candidates for that function.  (Skype, Ooma, etc.)

     Jim Bell