[liberationtech] iPhone 5S Fingerprint and Records (Was: iPhone5S and 5th amendment)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Wed Sep 11 05:49:30 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org> -----

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:37:36 -0700
From: Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
To: liberationtech <liberationtech@lists.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] iPhone 5S Fingerprint and Records (Was: iPhone5S and 5th amendment)

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 05:54:44PM -0400, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> Starting a new thread - it's related but a slightly different topic.
>
> Despite having several devices with fingerprint scanners, I've never used one.
>
> With the release of iPhone 5S and all the discussion around it, I'm
> curious if fingerprints on file with various Law Enforcement agencies
> could be printed out or otherwise used to unlock devices detained at
> border crossings or during other investigations?

Printing a fingerprint is pretty easy:

http://dasalte.ccc.de/biometrie/fingerabdruck_kopieren?language=en

No word yet if this technique works on the iPhone reader.

-andy
--
Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google. Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech. Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at companys@stanford.edu.

----- End forwarded message -----