[Cryptography] Opening Discussion: Speculation on "BULLRUN"

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Fri Sep 6 05:08:39 PDT 2013

Plants in the IETF? Sounds plausible.

----- Forwarded message from Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> -----

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:33:58 -0400
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Cc: "cryptography@metzdowd.com" <cryptography@metzdowd.com>
Subject: Re: [Cryptography] Opening Discussion: Speculation on "BULLRUN"

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

> I would like to open the floor to *informed speculation* about
> BULLRUN.
>
> Informed speculation means intelligent, technical ideas about what
> has been done. It does not mean wild conspiracy theories and the
> like. I will be instructing the moderators (yes, I have help these
> days) to ruthlessly prune inappropriate material.
>
> At the same time, I will repeat that reasonably informed
> technical speculation is appropriate, as is any solid information
> available.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security
• The NSA spends $250m a year on a program which, among other goals, works
with technology companies to "covertly influence" their product designs.

I believe this confirms my theory that the NSA has plants in the IETF to
discourage moves to strong crypto.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

----- End forwarded message -----