[liberationtech] NYTimes and Guardian on NSA

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Fri Sep 6 04:15:29 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org> -----

Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 12:48:53 -0700
From: Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org>
To: liberationtech <liberationtech@lists.stanford.edu>
Cc: Richard Brooks <rrb@acm.org>
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] NYTimes and Guardian on NSA

On 9/5/13 12:32 PM, Richard Brooks wrote:
> Latest articles:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/us/nsa-foils-much-internet-encryption.html?emc=edit_na_20130905&_r=0&pagewanted=print
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security
>

> I find most of this (if not all) silly. They seem shocked that the
> NSA does cryptanalysis. It would be nice if the newspapers had
> people with some knowledge of the domain writing articles.

There is a massive difference between cryptanalysis and decade-long,
well-funded, and top-secret program to subtly weaken international
cryptographic protocols and sabotage industry implementations.

--
Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google. Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech. Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at companys@stanford.edu.

----- End forwarded message -----