PayPal freezes MailPile's account

rysiek rysiek@hackerspace.pl
Thu Sep 5 04:09:07 PDT 2013

Hi there,

You might remember MailPile, the privacy-aware, encryption-supporting webmail:
http://mailpile.is/

Today PayPal froze MailPile's account with $45k on it:
http://www.mailpile.is/blog/2013-09-05_PayPal_Freezes_Campaign_Funds.html
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mailpile-taking-e-mail-back?c=activity

PayPal's comment:
"Please provide an itemized budget and your development goal dates for your
 project"

MailPile team's comment:
"After going round and round on the phone with PayPal, I am left with the very
 strong feeling that this entrpreneurial freedom is in jeopardy. If PayPal has
 financial risks to mitigate, why is that specially true in our case? Are the
 risks larger because we are successful?"

inb4 "why would they use PayPal" -- from what I've heard they didn't plan it
originally but it was brought in by popular demand.

--
Pozdr
rysiek