Love and Math Reviewed by NY Times

brian carroll electromagnetize at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 13:27:27 PDT 2013

John Young wrote:

> "Frenkel believes math deserves to be an integral part of our
> culture. Why is every­one talking about planets, atoms and
> DNA and not symmetry groups? For one thing, you can’t
> get cancer from a mutation of a symmetry group. But
> Frenkel writes that math 'directs the flow of the universe.'
> It’s as elegant as music and as much a part of our
> intellectual heritage as literature. He strives to awaken
> our wonder by taking us on an equation-packed tour of
> his research, in which he reveals a “hidden” world few
> of us encountered in school."

mathematic concepts are usually not actually delved into in the
educational system, at least in the era of standardized testing and
rote memorization of formulas and equations. it becomes 'call &
response' of dumb processing and I/O operations fielded to human
transistors, whereby "calculation" is a substitute for mathematical
inquiry and questioning (understanding, realization, exploration) and
instead becomes detached and forced into a narrow confine of quantity
as number, as if this is absolute truth by default of its being
calculated in this framework.

in this way 'math' can become ungrounded, short-circuited,
disconnected from its larger legitimating truth and reality, and made
subjective by its compartmentalization and narrowing via too-small
parameters and limits, forcing the perspective, via statistics,
equations, 'named' variables. as if simply declaring a correlation
between number and reality validates it as objective truth, removed of
error, as if in a pure state. this ideological vacuum then allowing
all perceived or equation-threatening data to be removed as if impure,
potentially rankling the bliss of 'divine calculation'.

quantifying a situation, modeling it within number is not an end in
itself yet has become so due to the loss of logical evaluation (beyond
binary) of these polarized, authority-based views so reasoned, as if
majority perspective or guiding self-interest is magically equated
with number even. President Clinton seemingly the biggest believer,
endlessly repeating numbers as if the truest reality, defining an
entire era of such theorization, which continues today despite the
wakeup call of 9/11 providing feedback that the equations are actually
wrong in modeling the given dynamics.

what if such ungrounded mathematics and ideological belief are the
security threat to the state, par excellence. what if wrong and
inaccurate thinking and beliefs precedes terrorist activities and
perpetuates itself as a terrorist activity from another worldview, not
as privileged, island-like.

to teach and learn of mathematics is to consider logic, firstly, as it
relates to patterns, these in terms of modeling, processes,
transformation, into a realm of 'language', where the letter and
number co-exist in terms of variables and equations. establishing what
is objective, based on its evaluation as hypotheses, proofs, error
identification and correction, in-depth consideration of the invisible
scaffolding or structure of ~number that most closely corresponds with
empirical truth in its given dimensions, as a cosmic structure
connecting everything within its interwoven, nested order that can be
identified and referenced, akin to a physics of nature and
metaphysics, yet prior to things or stuff, the essence of it involves
grounded truth that sustains the shared reality across the entire yet
hidden realm, micro to macroscopic, interdimensional circuitry.

it is incredibly easy to skew data models and equations via the
mismatch between what exists and what is presented or represented to
exist, either by ignorance or malice, so to frame a picture or
worldview upon and within which interactions take place. power resides
in naming and confining data and perception into controlled variables,
defined by some observers, picking and choosing truth to preference
some truth over others, or entirely misrepresent 'the facts' yet
within the conceit of objectivity-- because it can be said, and
assumed grounded within number. as if there is no subjective
unsteadiness with boundaries or parameters or false limits in
evaluation which _must be upheld and protected for the worldview to
proceed unimpeded in its self-righteousness, error-free, as if divine
insight, being able to claim ownership of what is true, real,
declaring it via its calculation in these terms yet which has been
removed of its accounting in truth, beyond that of onesided binary
evaluation. paradox is ignored, never dealt with. it cannot be.
2-value logic does not allow for it nor require it, and cannot
withstand 'other calculations'.

this, false empiricism of the relativist mindset ensconced within the
shallow sign of numbers as equations that become SYMBOLIC calculations
as if metaphysics at work, religious belief transmitted into the view
secured, yet of a particular or partial truth that leads and allow
demagoguery and shadow boxing, never really accounting for the truth
beyond observer ego, yet the observer in their righteousness is made
infallible likewise, because the patterns are matched, as believed,
number confirming reality. the idea that number could be ungrounded,
never in question.

mathematic awareness, such as through arithmetic, involves more than
equations. it defines a way of relating to the world and provides a
model for comprehending it, especially in its interwoven patterning.
such as the concepts of proportion as this relates to aesthetics, and
spans natural and visual art and music as concepts, including
'harmony' or 'ratio' as these may co-exist across molecular forms,
Western architectural orders, and octaves and chords in music. lacking
that foundation, the truth of the patterning, then leads into a
disconnected, disassociated realm that such concepts are only
encountered later in life, and reconnected in their truth on an
intuitive basis, never clearly or coherently understood as the basis
for these connections, versus some after-effect or undocumented
anomaly that they appear to be in a system for promoting illiteracy.

'the sign of math', the symbolic equation, replaces and stands in for
the truth of math, the truth of number beyond the sign of the number
(e.g. "1"). in this way what is taught via rote memorization and
automated reply for standardized error-checking is pattern matching of
the signage, did the equations match the variables, and not the
underlying truth in its larger parameters and daresay it, foundational
context ~as thinking. instead it is memorization. mimicry to some
extent of thinking through something that is already figured out as an
equation, and thus what is mediated is the signage, not the substance
involved in the underlying questioning, which is bounded by
'mathematics as language'. as if the issues of math equate with
learning to write cursive letters in the alphabet, so too equations:
you matched input and answer correctly = truth.

and this is not actually math, this is surface level calculation, it
is not 'thinking through mathematics' it is processing data in such
structures that are beyond thinking, bounded as ready-made solutions
for input. the calculator itself the defining tool for culture that in
turn develops computers into advanced calculators (no more), and
electronic music instruments likewise. stuck in a bounded paradigm,
predetermined in a limited realm of consideration and functioning.
highly linear, serial processing in a standardized confined format,
all based within memorization, where the 'sign' stands-in and replaces
the truth it supposedly references and represents, yet is so warped
and skewed as to directly contradict what is real and in this way,
ungrounded mathematics and beliefs based upon 'number' as if symbolic,
equated with universal truth, establishing, allowing, determining the
basis for the false reality, the false economy, the false relations,
the false worldview and perspective in all its idiocy.

here you have the basic mind-body problem turned into a structural
disconnection between mental and physical reality and thus its
mediation (via false representation) can further and further separate
these SIGNS from what they actually reference and are 'truly believed'
(or not) to represent, in that the model can be warped, error-reliant,
self-serving, and corrupted to only some viewpoints and some
parameters - whose truth beyond these limits _cannot be questions, nor
can the equations, because they are secured as ideological structures
of 'shared belief'. even while this can be based in falsity, wrong
assumptions or ill intent, misrepresenting reality so as to control
it, etc. in this way: "education" that is against learning based in
truth, and any logical reasoning that does not conform to
predetermined and vetted 'correct answers' as standardized. consider
concepts like innovation in this bounded state, what parameters are
innovating allowed to occur within and where is it forbidden, illegal.
as this relates to issues of power, authority, control over
interpretation, the notion of 'democracy' in such a corrupt framework
to begin with.

then, consider the mind-body split, as institutionalized and enforced,
as this relates to politicized interpretations of neurologists,
psychologists, and psychiatrists (amongst many others), who rely on
these 'quantified models' and statistics and skewed modeling to again:
pattern match, as if this correspondance is inherently going into a
circuit of grounded truth, and not a more surface layer of evaluation
-- as language -- whereby the 'sign of something' is equated with its
actual truth, versus a reference, a hypothesis, a question requiring
more than a single parameter to validate-- though this is unnecessary
in a binary worldview. all that is required is the fragment to
conclude the nature of the whole, if parameters are controlled, this
subjectivity achieved, structuralized, allowing 'truth to be written'
as if observation itself is a direct connect with unerring Obs.

so whose the craziest, the person evaluated or the person evaluating
them, basing their evaluation in fantasied self-serving ideological
notions that privilege the rightness and trueness of their observation
based on self-belief as it is shared amongst others and
institutionalized this way. can an entire civilization be mad? it
appears so. the bullshit machine starts at the person unable to
evaluate their own errors, firstly. though this may instantly break
mirrors and bring years bad luck, for all the patterns will suddenly
be off, and a new stage of learning would begin, requiring 'not
knowing' in place of expertise, and loss of control over determining
truth and its biased rationalization, for another engagement with
reality, including others, as this relates to social structures,
power, attitude, lifestyle, recontextualized beyond just private
boundaries or interpretations. it is easy to do this for others, to
look and find errors within others, yet hypocritical if not addressing
the same within the self firstly, and then learning to empathize with
a general condition faced by many, how to deal with the self and
others within the dysfunction, how to achieve a solid foundation for
shared relations when there are none. how to establish and recognize
truth even in its decayed state of ruin, and salvage, recover, and
rebuild with it, instead of ignore and based interconnections on its
corruption (pT), an insecure state then can and should be collapsed

in other words, people are trapped in and exploiting faulty models of
thinking. people from children to the elderly have never been taught
how to think, beyond binary processing of data in terms of unchecked
relativistic biasing, as if "calculators" or 2-value transistors that
can be configured into various circuitry and 'compute' answers as a
malleable computer of human components, nothing more, nothing beyond
these parameters, nor can this machine-like functioning be questioned.
that throws a wrench into the automated ideological works. i.e. asking
questions, modeling and delving into and studying and resolving the
paradox (via new logic), thereby recontextualizing the entirety of the
worldview, its understanding, in new terms and parameters and
processes of awareness. though in this hyperconnectivity, this
parallelism the missing puzzle piece that the ancients needed to
combine various incongruity into single shared modeling, taking the
relativism and correlating it empirically, via the running of
concurrent hypotheses and error-correcting until what remains is only
truth, to the degree possible, given the depth of inquiry and
exploration

instead, all of this is skipped, allowed to ride on the surface in a
shallow surface-level interpretation of language as signage, as
equations with I/O binary reasoning that collates and tabulates into
certain preordained protected structures that reinforce the given
limited finite perspective, as if universal, as if hierarchy
legitimates the flaws and falsehoods as if 'greater truth' when any
evaluation should provide proof this is in error, and instead of
observing or being obligated to this correction, instead it is
ignored, and ego and belief in a false-model prevails as if of higher
mind. what ignorance glorified and crowned this way, who serves such
despotism, except those who serve the false reality, unthinking serfs
and slaves

!=

what is missing i think, is the recognition of absolute truth as a
basis for establishing 'truth' as a empirical concept. since
relativistic ideology forbids this to be acknowledged (on the basis
for faith in scientific belief, or- symbolic equations that stand-in
as SIGNAGE for grounded truth) then the very evaluation or accounting
for truth itself is made off-limits via these parameters, partializing
the questioning and inquiry to only a highly limited consideration
that equates with language, words and sentences that compute or
calculate correctly.

the greater truth, the depth and essence of the situation, the missing
information then vanishes via this control of boundaries by way of
private or limiting threshold. and yet every person knows, who thinks,
far beyond this constriction of 'official reasoning', as if a kabuki
performance, highly stylized interactions and exchanges that are
themselves ritualistic, symbolic, though unlike the art of kabuki,
ungrounded, able to be skewed, warped, and twisted into falsehood- yet
still representing 'shared truth' as it overpowers alternative
interpretations or views, then represents them

why this matters is because it feels wrong, it is known to be untrue,
yet becomes normalized, standardized, the status quo way of doing
things and essentially programs and formats our being, the way people
are and interact and relate, as this can be controlled and
commoditized, just look at the role of trends and mass marketing
luring people into eating poisoned and toxic food supplies, the
untainted too expensive for most

i saw this sign and it says everything about what is missing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/innmotion/with/7433941288/

(logic is a feeling)

the truth of feeling, the truth of knowing is missing within the
equations and computations because they are ungrounded and
superficial, yet allowed to exist this way because logic is absent to
account for truth beyond the default binary ideology, which is
despotically religious, those who stand-by the falsehood believe
themselves to have highest truth, and are in control of what is
represented, validating their false supremacy.

(note: regarding logic is a feeling, it is also possible that a binary
evaluation would equate 'feeling good' with truth, which could be
ignorance, such that if a person says something and makes you feel
bad, that what they are saying would be false. whereas a more rigorous
understanding would involve how the body itself carries within it a
compass for truth, via intuition if not pre-language knowing, via
pattern matching (this going back to Plato in Timaeus) where what is
like knows itself, via this shared identity, or essentially A=A. and
how love could operate in this way, where two souls may meet and
understand each other already, as it relates to establishing absolute
truth or knowing - faith in truth - as the basis for absolute truth in
logic. if this securing of truth is foundational, whether in family
and-or other relations, it can be a compass that helps guide a person
in navigating reality, as with other way markers, lighthouses or
obelisks referenced, accurate in their modeling and dimensions. in
this way 'grounded truth' could correspond to feelings and provide
directionality towards and through frameworks of interconnected,
structural truth, whereas ungrounded pseudo-truth could tend towards
falsity, if superficial and equated with immediate versus deep
physiological or other interpretative response, nervous system and-or
brain/mind evaluation.

'the sign of politics' in its corruption and falsity operates in the
binary, as call and response, and can manipulate feeling to engineer a
shared truth that is distorted, a warped version of reality, and
dangerous as a path. whereas the truth of politics can access a
grounded condition that is intuitive and shared amongst many and
provides a direction and infrastructure of relations within that
condition, likely core to all movements in their truth and succeeding
momentum, the error-correction and accounting method required to match
the beliefs accurately with the reality)

> Returning to Whit Diffie musing on what led to his discovery
> or invention of public key cryptography -- found in what might
> be termed a hidden world of mathematics -- there may be
> still hidden mathematical forms of communication that
> does not rely upon technology's inevitable comsec failure.

makes me think of ~heartfields and ~mindfields, aka brainwaves. how
could intimacy be removed of the entanglement of these fields in their
_communicative aspects, such as the harmonization of the signaling
when in close or working proximity, versus polarized and antagonistic,
as this relates to cybernetics and feedback in combined and separate
circuitry, issues of equilibrium, stasis, disequilibrium, in terms of
existing and changed states, entropy and organization between system
boundaries. where is 'truth' in other words. is it only in SIGNAGE? no
way. and in this way the truth of mathematic structuring, though also
of pattern matching, matched emotions or awareness, sensory influence
whereupon interactions with others effect, challenge, and transform
personal modeling and observation, questioning and enlargening
considerations beyond the finite boundary, as this maps and scales
into larger and larger domains - if grounded, more and more solid and
removed of error, though if ungrounded becoming more and more
unstable, tenuous, requiring of threshold protection, enforced limits
to interaction, gated interiorities that limit external interactions,
allowing the bubble its universality while divorced from truth both
inside and beyond its claim, this corrupt self the highest rule

(if grounded truth were achieved in technology, then intuitive
computation and intuitive technology, AI that thinks like and beyond
humans yet is bounded in its dimensionality and 'truth')

> The NSA global invasion appears almost wholly based on the
> failure of technology rather than mathematics, as our esteemed
> cryptographers remind. Much of the current tweaking and
> further invention appear driven by technology, code,
> engineering, politics, law and polemics, again not mathematics.

(amazing observations)

> No wonder, that, for math is beyond grasp of those who
> believe the non-mathematical is too hard to see, hear, smell,
> touch, write, understand, market and melodramatically
> induce media delirium by way of officially-hostile and
> unauthorized disclosures.

this is the koan that set my mind spinning for several days. it is
ellusive, perhaps this response is a strange read-reply function and
not of the same interpretative framework, though what i thought it was
getting at is:

<srf>  "~ those using math as a basis for symbolic yet ungrounded
communication ("the sign of math" = true belief), partially or wholly
skewed, then _believe that which is not modeled this way, in its
physicality, cannot be acknowledged in its truth beyond these biased
parameters -- because 'the truth of math' is not operational within
these evaluations, it is not the foundation of the evaluative
reasoning, instead it is superficuial signage and shared beliefs about
these " ' </srf>

admittedly quasi-quasi interpretation here, recontextualized into the
indoctrination of gradeschool math mindsets that go into professional
contexts as if legitimizing 'truth itself' by EQUATING or
calculating-into-being what is true, determining via such
rationalization, this viewed as a right and born of unequal privilege,
though essentially is itself the mark of falsity and evidence of
corruption of the observers themselves, to include those wielding
mathematics divorced of their greater truth, keeping the ideas
confined to self-limiting parameters, allowing games to continue, in
what is politicized computation and calculations and analyses by
default. all of this binary ideology. all of it can and should be
crushed, by making known and irrefutable its falsity and reliance on
falsity to sustain its partial, limited truth that is ultimately
self-serving, functioning against truth in order to represent it in a
partial, controlled, beneficial way to those in charge of the
maintaining the perspective; which in this hour should be clearly
obvious it aligns well with evil itself, a fundamental disconnect
between what exists, what is presented

> Whither the NSA bountiful mathematicians in protecting
> its family jewels of invasive technology? Stuck in crypto
> labs musing like Diffies in manifold hideways?
>
> Frenkel's linking of love and mathematics is worth pondering
> in the face of the megalomania, demogoguery, popularity and
> profitability of faultly technology, ever breeding abuse, counter
> abuse, blame and exculpation, feeding the market for official
> joined to unofficial invasion and combat, collateral damage
> inevitable.

makes me wonder, what if within the subjectivity of mathematics, as
this is made into a corrupted technological framework, that coexisting
within the ambiguity is the truth of mathematics and truth of love,
truth of people functioning, existing, serving beyond these base
parameters, and that a standing-reserve of such functionality could
still persist and exist in the ruins, likely outside the boundaries
conceived of within the default standardized, professionalized,
commercial if political viewpoints -- whereby the questions and issues
transcend the limits if not also the capabilities of technologies, as
hearts and minds secure critical alignment, sharing grounded truth and
establishing connections and pathways and passages, providing
direction, information and insight, allowing movement and flows of
this accurate "illegal data", necessary to transmit and receive to
countering the ongoing criminality of overlord oppression, in this way
what is crypto, security, secrecy, privacy, if it does not somehow
fundamentally correlate and reconcile itself with truth that cannot be
shared without obseverance of its parameters and boundaries, that
exist outside the warping, skew, distortion, lies, deceptions, relied
upon for 'normal' computations of those corrupted, believing self
truth

truth is the ultimate security, the foundation for the ultimate crypto

its compromise, the ultimate insecurity, corruption of everything,
secrets included

those who rely on lies seem to think the limit to uncovering the
deception involves their being honest or having to mediate a situation
in and on their terms, this is most certainly not the case. truth can
be accounted for beyond the existing controlled boundaries. this
evaluation has yet to take place within Western culture for centuries
now, apparently. a several hundred year run into an unchecked
condition, now pure ideology. in this way, belief is made religious-
yet removed of truth, greater purpose, than that of the false gods
developing their onesided plans for things

in this way, the sign of math absent its greater truth, so too
metaphysics and ephemera of information in its truth, a simulcra
developed whereby even the planets and start themselves replaced by an
inferior substitute lacking substance and meaning, only functioning on
the surface as if a desert mirage or hallucination, the fictionalized
reality moved into the sky, myth and legend represented by fake
constellations of a planetarium, its powerlines and power source
mapped back into unstable, trembling structures at the slightest hint
of dis-ease of the sustained and shared false construct; "if you are
going to do true belief- you'd better get 'truth' right or else an
entire worldview can be collapsed via any falsehoods."

35-NET 710-C