True necessity of Records? [was: CryptoSeal]

Ulex Europae europus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 04:05:15 PDT 2013

At 01:53 PM 10/24/2013, coderman wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There's no reason to hold CDR's more than the last fully paid billing
> > cycle, and, yes, further limited by the type of calling plan you have.

>this had the convenient effect of masking the origin of a caller
>through our network.

Which makes it no different from how telephone networks worked for
decades, in the pre-Caller ID dayze.

>  needless to say, we were strongly encouraged to
>keep all CDR records for years, precisely because some many months
>later a request would come in asking for the calling party information
>associated with one of these outbound legs.

Time was, users were encouraged to contact the phone company immediately
after receiving prank, etc., calls. There is still no legitimate reason
to retain that data more than 90 days, if that long. Make it available
to the individual users and it is their responsibility to keep it, if
they want it. Feds stymied by that? It's because the victim on behalf
of whom they want to prosecute didn't keep records. Oops.