Gentlemen do not read each other's mail...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Oct 25 02:45:13 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:09:22AM +0200, Lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:
> I still feel offended that the leaders do not get furious over ALL CITIZENS

I see zero evidence that anyone is furious. It's pure political
theater to appease those few percent of voting cattle that are
privacy-minded.

Notice everybody is carefully staying away from mandating simple
and the only measures which would work: strong end to end encryption,
with secrets held by end users, in tamper-proofed compartments.
Because this would seriously compromise their own surveillance
capability. And we certainly can't have that, oh noes.

> BEING SPIED UPON but only CUTESY ME IS BEING SPIED UPON. Maybe they
> imagined how wrong things can go for them, and that became very vivid. But

People in power are used that the common laws are strictly for
the commons, so for those few clueless the outrage to be no
longer exempt might be even genuine.

So ruthlessly machiavellian, or clueless and entitled, pick
your poison.