Curious RNG stalemate [was: use of cpunks]

Stephan Mueller smueller at chronox.de
Thu Oct 24 00:52:56 PDT 2013

Am Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2013, 23:46:26 schrieb Andy Isaacson:

Hi Andy,

>> I'd also like to see a default parameter file, guaranteed to give
>> some
>> entropy on a lowest common denominator device. I'm not sure if that
>> is
>> possible.
>
>The Turbid paper seems focused on generating a few KiB/sec of
>physical randomness, continuously.  The actual problem facing users
>today is getting 100 bits of randomness, *ever*, to seed urandom.
>
>This seems like a classic example of engineering building a system
>that's far beyond spec for the problem it's actually supposed to solve,
>and incapable of adressing the actual problem due to overengineered
>complexity.
>
>Turbid fails the first rule:  build systems for people to actually use.

Maybe CPU Jitter RNG provided on www.chronox.de helps here? The test
results are prepared on a plethora of different CPUs, operating systems
and compilers and thus should cover 95% of all users (I am trying to get
test results for iOS to cover 99% of all users).

(disclaimer: I wrote the code and I may be biased in the judgment)

Ciao
Stephan