Undernet IPv6 Interop [was: Enigmabox/cjdns]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Oct 22 02:55:52 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 05:23:45AM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > Just got word, Enigmabox has published source and
> > put up first documentation on http://wiki.enigmabox.net/
>
> This is cjdns. Last I checked (and will again) I'm pretty sure they

Yes. If people are not familiar with cjdns, here's a good
intro https://github.com/cjdelisle/cjdns/blob/master/doc/Whitepaper.md

> were using an IPv6 address scheme that would conflict with
> other projects using proper private space. So if say you wanted

I've asked about this a while back among a few IPv6 people,
and it does not seem to be a problem. The keys/addresses are
randomly generated and are all in FC00::/8.

> to run an interface for each project and run/access/route
> them all at once, you can't. Yes, less than 128bits
> (say a /48) is pretty weak... but when you can't interoperate [1]

120 bits is a lot of space.

> that leaves something to be said for each project to develop an
> address layer so you can. There certainly won't ever be more
> than 2^48 projects or 2^80 users.
>
> The undernets are getting bigger and having more projects.
> They might want to be thinking about interop beforehand.
> Otherwise, even though the tech under the hood might
> be different, to the user they will appear as bunch of balkanized
> communities, and a real pain to use any of them in parallel.

cjdns interoperates fine with dual-stack. The interesting
part is L2 routing over own infrastructure, and eventual
ASIC/FPGAfication of the router.