Curious RNG stalemate [was: use of cpunks]

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue Oct 22 00:07:15 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:42:21AM -0400, Sandy Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Problem is, apparently no one is solving it, so round and round
> > it goes...
>
> > Now if someone would just sell a completely open discrete logic
> > serial port hw entropy source for under $50... that would end
> > a lot of the talk. Even with a more costly radiation source rather
> > than other phenomena you'd still likely make good profit ...
>
> If you have an audio device free or can add one and are using
> Linux, I'd say Turbid is the obvious solution:
> http://www.av8n.com/turbid/paper/turbid.htm
>
> Open source, available for over a decade, well thought out
> and well documented. It even has a proof, using only some
> quite mild assumptions, that it gives almost perfect entropy
> in the output. What's not to like?

It's super frustrating that Turbid assumes you are going to
reverse-engineer the amplifier stage of your sound card in order to set
some difficult-to-understand parameters which apparently can completely
break it's ability to extract entropy if set incorrectly.  (See the
installation instructions in section 12 of the paper linked above.)

It would be much better for it to have a default set of parameters (or
an autotuned parameter engine) that have a very high likelihood of
giving acceptable results upon "apt-get install turbid" on some
arbitrary hardware.

I mean, seriously.  The Turbid authors appear to assume that every
person who installs Turbid is going to build a custom Y-audio cable and
put a voltmeter (set to the correct mode of course!) on the outputs of
their sound card.  WTF?

It's fine if conservative, default settings result in Turbid getting
only 100 bits of entropy per second rather than 100 Kbit/sec.  Mix it
into /dev/urandom and call it a day.

-andy