CryptoSeal shutters, ala: LavaBit

Kyle Maxwell kylem at xwell.org
Mon Oct 21 20:09:08 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Jim Bell <jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>     The practice of shutting down a service in anticipation of the
> government showing up and issuing a warrant (whether search- or
> pen-register, or whatever) shows not merely a lack of guts, but also an
> incredible lack of imagination.  For example, I previously pointed out that
> there is no longer any real basis for keeping records on the metadata
> involved in in setting up a telephone call:

So how do you propose that a provider perform SSL without keeping
their private cert? And how should they respond when a court *orders*
them to allow law enforcement or other agencies to install sniffers on
their network? That's essentially what Lavabit faced.

Also: it's easy to accuse someone of lacking guts or imagination, but
I don't think any of these folks are shutting down services and even
businesses without serious consideration of the costs involved -
financial and otherwise.

--
@kylemaxwell