Curious RNG stalemate [was: use of cpunks]

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 21 19:07:44 PDT 2013

After I had posted my idea, I realized that there would be a possibility of ring-oscillator/ring-oscillator interactions if the delays of the individual inverters were of identical technology.  (invertor delay).  I thought of an idea to vary the size of the transistors (and/or capacitive loading) in the invertors such that the shortest-loop oscillator inverters were smaller, having perhaps 1-2% less delay, while the longest-loop oscillator inverters had a 4-5% greater delay, and the two intermediate-loop oscillators had 0-1% greater and 2-3% greater delays.  I think this would tend to prevent inadvertent synchronization between these four ring-oscillators.  Naturally, this would have to be tested, or at least characterized by the manufacturer.

Another, belt-and-suspenders, approach would be to add a long-period LFSR to the above circuitry (48-64 bits, say) and XOR the ring-oscillator outputs with themselves, as well as with that LFSR.  If the resulting signal had some sort of pattern, it would be of extraordinarily-long pattern.
            Jim Bell