[cryptography] Snowden sets OPSEC record straight

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 08:27:21 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 6:46 AM, John Young <jya at pipeline.com> wrote:
> Snowden filtered by Janes Risen filtered by New York Times,
> as with all other filterings by special-interested Snowden
> filters, ...

i did appreciate the plentiful use of actual quotations.  these
snippets among the narrative are still insightful...

> does deliver a reassuring message to precisely
> answer highly filtered questions and charges that have
> been made about his heavily filtered, nay, almost negligible
> releases.

i'm as frustrated as anyone at the glacial pace of disclosure, and the
limited scope of disclosure, and the arbitrary censorship in the
disclosures, and ...

yet still what has been released is far from "negligable"!

part of me wonder if a full dump would have been less effective,
serving over to completely overwhelm the ability to discuss and absorb
the breath and depth of these efforts. (i would still prefer a dump!)

> But so far every version of his apperances by whatever
> medium come across as carefully vetted by WikiLeak's
> Sarah Harrison, lawyers and PR wizards, as over-edited,
> sanitized and directed, as little substantiated despite
> alleged thousands of documents as hard driven
> advocacy so like reviled special-interested groups of
> all persuasions.

"the games we play..."

> This critique applies to the dog and pony shows now
> ranging the globe by freedom of information special
> interests, staffed by a coterie of so-called ex-spies,
> their lawyers, their PR wizards, national security
> journalists and civil liberties exploiters, bedded and
> applauded by camp followers, funded by egotically,
> narcissisticly bored and wealth-drunk patrons like
> Omidyar, Soros, and, why not j'accuse the combine,
> the USG and its filthy rich spies long known to use
> the wealthy to protect their common special interests
> since corruption was invented, Day One.

diffusion of responsibility leaves plenty accountable parties
complicit in various crimes ;)

> Snowden is either an ignorant fool, [...] or a fabulous
> con artist like Assange...

it's hard not to be a jaded malcontent after all you've lived and seen, eh John?

i hope you're wrong...  *grin*

best regards,