Curious RNG stalemate [was: use of cpunks]

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Fri Oct 18 02:56:08 PDT 2013

I've found a few since, too; some I could build right away.

Leading to a n00b question: if you have a custom-built HWRNG, and you
*don't need the full output* but just a complementary source of entropy
for /dev/random, how would one seed /dev/random with the HWRNG without
washing out the good entropy already in /dev/random?

That is, I gather some CSPRNGs can consider relative weights of RNG
inputs, seeding the pool more often from some than others, or
sanitising some inputs more than other. So my custom-built HWRNG, with
possibly not-trustworthy output for crypto usages, would be a nice
ancillary input to /dev/random if I could be sure it would be only used
to supplement, never to replace, more proven and trustworthy sources.

Bonus question; if I take the direct output of my HWRNG, and use it
with a hash function and a long, random seed that is invariant, that
should even out the bits of output and help account for fluctuations in
true entropy, right?
That is:

mypassphrase = SHA512(b'some long string of high-entropy seed data')
entropy = HWRNG_READ(64)
entropy = SHA512(entropy, mypassphrase)
seed_dev_random(entropy)