Curious RNG stalemate [was: use of cpunks]

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Thu Oct 17 14:12:11 PDT 2013

> If you want slow, you can get a geiger counter from Sparkfun/etc. for
> ~$99, but you're not going to get anything intentionally radioactive
> shipped cheap from China.

Could you hack a smoke detector? They use (IIRC) Americanium decay to
ionise an air path to a detector. You might be able to use the voltage
variation in that circuit with very little modification, without even
opening the case perhaps (which is good, because Americanium is
supposedly somewhat toxic)?

Of course, then you'd have to watch out that an attacker doesn't smoke
in the same room as your entropy source... ;)