Browser fingerprinting

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Mon Oct 14 07:55:56 PDT 2013

Mike Kuketz wrote:

> As an alternative to the Tor Browser i suggest the following:
> On this site you can check your browser
> "visibility": http://ip-check.info/?lang=en

  Yeah, if you don't need or want location anonymity, there are a lot of
really good options out there.  RequestPolicy takes a lot of tinkering
(which can be *really* aggravating), but it's incredibly useful for
blocking tracking scripts.

  Modifying one's user-agent string was found to be a CFAA violation
during Weev's trial. Who knew?  Ashkan Soltani wrote a really great
opinion piece on this [1].

  In addition to the other great recommendations, I'd highly recommend
blocking Flash if you're concerned about privacy.  Not only do flash
cookies persist longer / are hard to block / are harder to remove, but
it's easy to fingerprint someone via a tiny bit of flash.  Flash is also
enabled by default on Google Chrome, so check out FlashBlock [2]. It
also offers more granularity in case you like gaming :D

best,
Griffin

[1]
http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07/the-catch-22-of-internet-commerce-and-privacy-could-mean-youre-the-bad-guy/
[2]
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flashblock/gofhjkjmkpinhpoiabjplobcaignabnl?hl=en

--
"Cypherpunks write code not flame wars." --Jurre van Bergen
#Foucault / PGP: 0xAE792C97 / OTR: saint at jabber.ccc.de

My posts are my own, not my employer's.