[pfSense] naive suggestion: conform to US laws

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Oct 12 15:07:46 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com> -----

Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 16:36:47 -0500
From: Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com>
To: pfSense support and discussion <list at lists.pfsense.org>
Subject: Re: [pfSense] naive suggestion: conform to US laws

On Oct 12, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Chris L <cjl at viptalk.net> wrote:

>> On 2013-10-12 01:40, Jim Thompson wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not willing to endure this uninformed Alex Jonesian crapfest.
>
> Nice position to take, except Alex Jones was right.

Sigh.  As much as this doesn’t belong on the pfsense list…

I actually know Alex, or did, 13 year ago.   I got friendly enough with him back in the mid-late 90s that we had each other’s cell phone numbers.

Back then Jamie and I were involved with Fringeware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FringeWare_Review
http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/vol16/issue26/screens.fringeware.html

Fringeware became an advertiser on Alex Jones' radio show (on KLBJ, before he got booted).

On the front-end, I was a respected advertiser.  Meanwhile, others associated with Fringeware were culture-jamming him on the back-end. the result: #discordia

Oh, the memories this brings back.  (As you’ll see, the FBI showed up to demand something, didn’t have a warrant, and was shown the sidewalk.)

http://www.wingtv.net/thorn2006/jarhead.html
http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2000-07-14/77932/

Clayton, btw is a dear friend.  Easily one of the most brilliant people I’ve ever known.  I hope he speaks at my funeral.

Other fun was had at Fringeware.  We supported the Yes Men (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yes_Men)  We actually hosted their website, as well as that of RTmark for a period in the late 90s on the same machine used for smallworks.com (which was originally the corporation behind the firewall named “Netgate”), fringeware.com, etc.

One of their pranks was that they setup a website named www.gwbush.com. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yes_Men#George_W._Bush  http://theyesmen.org/hijinks/gwbush http://www.rtmark.com/bush.html)  which resulted in Bush’s famous "There ought to be limits to freedom,”  quote.

http://www.rtmark.com/bushpr2.html

The great untold story on this is that all these websites were hosted in a shitty office building on Shoal Creek Blvd, one floor up from the then offices of "Karl Rove & Associates” even as they fought to shutdown gwbush.com.  The #irony was delicious, and they never succeeded. :-)

Anyway, you might want to study up on STRATFOR, or  Mary Maroney, who was the editor and chief of Infowars magazine until earlier this year.
Maroney formerly worked for Stratfor and Parker Media here in Austin.  If you don’t know who they are, then I suggest more research on your part.

Have fun, but be careful when you enter the rabbit hole.   Snowden and Manning are both late-comers to the party:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/05/23/110523fa_fact_mayer?currentPage=all
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/519661/nsas-own-hardware-backdoors-may-still-be-a-problem-from-hell/
http://cryptome.org/nsa-ssl-email.htm
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20017671-281.html
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2013/09/15-shumow.pdf (see also: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/?p=85661)
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/01/secret-backdoors-found-in-firewall-vpn-gear-from-barracuda-networks/
http://dl.packetstormsecurity.net/papers/general/my_research1.pdf
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.154.825 / http://www.cs.ucf.edu/~czou/research/Chipset%20Backdoor-AsiaCCS09.pdf  (now consider all the cheerleading for Intel Ethernet chips on the various pfSense lists…)

Jim

----- End forwarded message -----