[pfSense] NSA: Is pfSense infiltrated by "big brother" NSA or others?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Oct 9 09:43:18 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com> -----

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 18:38:50 +0200
From: Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com>
To: pfSense support and discussion <list at lists.pfsense.org>
Subject: Re: [pfSense] NSA: Is pfSense infiltrated by "big brother" NSA or others?

Exactly, although this rule doesn’t just apply to “small companies”.   Big companies have shown to just roll over and give up the customer’s data.

So asking the question is stupid(*), because a lie is indistinguishable from the truth.

No, the NSA hasn’t approached us about pfSense, or adding a “back door”, or anything similar.  Nor has anyone else.

The next step is yours.

I am told that the NSA did review a version of pfSense that was made for a customer which would filter SCADA protocols.  I can’t verify that or not.

Note also that someone DID once accuse OpenBSD of having a problem with it’s IPSEC processing, which Theo *vehemently* denied.
http://www.informationweek.com/security/vulnerabilities/openbsd-founder-believes-fbi-built-ipsec/228900037
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=129236621626462&w=2

Sam Leffler, about four years earlier, found a bug in the AH processing, which he fixed (in FreeBSD) and handed back to the OpenBSD.  They patched same, but never gave any acknowledgement to Sam.

So, maybe you should run OpenBSD.

Jim
* as it turns our, yes, Samantha, there is a Santa Clause^W^W^W^Ware stupid questions.

----- End forwarded message -----