legal game-theory, case for smart-contracts & snow crash (Re: <nettime> A CEO who resisted NSA spying is out of prison.)

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 20:00:04 PDT 2013

    I don't think I'm ignoring game-theory as much as you may think I am.  Obviously, people who are independently wealthy (and particularly if they have high incomes) are powerfully motivated to challenge any charges.  To them that $5,000 reward will have little effect at all.  The reason I think 'denial-of-disservice' will work is that a very large fraction of (current) Federal criminal defendants are not well financed, and in some cases many will view a few months (or years) in the pen as being tolerable.  There are probably 40,000 illegal-aliens, mostly drug smugglers.  A whole slew of bank-robbers.  A large fraction of the rest are there due to drug cases.  Only a very small proportion of those prisoners are the kind of wealthy, savvy people that you are describing.  Now, understand that one reason I believe what I do is because of a great deal of experience in observing the system first-hand, and it would take a long time to expose you
 to enough facts to demonstrate why I believe the things I do.  Your analysis is seemingly plausible if every defendant in question is independently rich, white-collar, and intelligent, but most prisoners don't have those advantages.

    I understand why (in theory) plea-bargaining is done.  The problem, it's been horribly misused:  It was, no doubt, used in 1980 when there were about 20,000 Federal prisoners.  But rather than keeping the total prisoner population down and within reasonable limits, they decided to 'blow up the balloon' as far as they could, and thus the current figure is 220,000 prisoners.  'Plea bargaining' is precisely what made this abuse possible.   It WASN'T because people suddenly (or even gradually, over time) decided to commit 11 times as much crime as before!  This is a clue (!) that this increase in prisoner population isn't an unavoidable outcome, but in fact is entirely artificial and certainly avoidable endpoint.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpavlo/2013/08/12/no-matter-the-dojs-announcement-the-federal-prison-population-will-grow/

    I don't disagree with your idea of capping convictions (by law) at, say, 10,000 per year, at least as a concept: In fact, I can see that it would be a great step forward.  But the difficulty is, how can that be done?  Is it possible to force it on 'the system'?  And given America's corrupt/incompetent/malicious Congress, would they have a reason to vote in such a limitation?   They voted for the legislation that brought us to where we are now, and have tolerated it for 30+ years.   What I am proposing ought to work with that effect, even better, but without any need to convince these guys that it's a good outcome.   (Even better:  My idea amounts to a system to cap convictions at perhaps 5,000 per year, limited not by 'law' but instead to clog the system with its own detritus.)

    Another solution I'd implement ("if I were King...") would be to prohibit sentencing convicted defendants at more than 10% greater than the time offered in the plea agreement (If the plea agreement offered 36 months, the ending sentence if convicted would be no greater than 39.6 months):  The current system only tries 5% of the defendants by jury; if sentences were limited to that 10% upgrade, far more defendants would demand a jury trial, and that would 'automatically' limit the number of defendants who could be convicted.  So, that would be a solution.  But getting Congress to approve such a change in law would be difficult or impossible.  (At least without AP-type convincing.)   I think America's Founding Fathers would have been astonished to learn that the jury system has been so obviously subverted as it is today.  But I am not in any way confident that such a solution could, in fact, be implemented, particularly against the will (and,
 thus, the influence) of the hundreds of thousands of people (cops, lawyers, judges, prison guards) who profit from the current system.
     Also, I should mention that there have been and are a lot of illegal (not legal) activities in regards to Federal criminal sentencing over the last 13 years.  In 2000 there was a case called 'Apprendi v. New Jersey', which started out on the right track but all Federal appeals courts rejected the application of its principle to Federal criminal cases.  Then there was Blakely v. Washington (2004) which further expanded the thrust of the principle.  Unfortunately, an evil bitch named Ginsburg screwed up things in a truly wacky Supreme Court case called U.S. v. Booker (2005)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Booker    , completely backsliding in this line of cases.  Probably none of you reading the CP list have any idea what an atrocious history these cases had, especially Booker, but they are in large part why I have absolutely no confidence at all that the Federal 'criminal justice' system has any hope of being repaired,
 except perhaps by AP or 'denial of disservice attack' methods.

        Jim Bell