Bruce Schneier on the good, old air gap

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 7 14:55:49 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 09:14:35PM +0200, yersinia wrote:

> I like  Bruce much, i have read all of him, every book, mostly article,
> from years. But no normal person would follow these advice, all smartphones

That advice is not exactly targeted towards Jane Doe.

> should be turned off, each tablet, and every pc should be turned in a

Some people don't have mobile phones. Others leave them at home,
or remove the power pack when it matters.

> anonyomous client of an anonymous network. Sure, who believe in the

No. You just need to buy an offline machine, e.g. a used notebook.
Separation by air gap was SOP in the intelligence community before
virtualization allowed to separate trust compartments in one machine.
I trust air gap much more than hypervisors.

> paranoiamodel
> definitely find comfort in these indications, for example i am one. But those
> who follow this model, really, are following it also not in only the
> cyberspace, but also in the real life, every day ? Really? Internet is

I don't understand the problem. Bruce gave good basic opsec advice,
what's the problem with following it up in practice but to tamper-proof
against evil maid attacks?