[tor-talk] Silk Road taken down by FBI

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Oct 7 01:02:01 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 05:55:02AM +1000, James A. Donald wrote:

> We know silk road was attacked with spam and malware.  That it was

We know that Freedom Hosting platform was compromised, and
dropped malware via a known vulnerability in the TBB.

We do not know how exactly TSR was taken down.
There are reasons to suspect that the official story
might be a parallel construct.

> attacked with spam, suggests that malware did not suffice.

The rise in Tor traffic well predates the events, and seems
to be entirely attributable to C&C traffic of a botnet.