Pen register request used to force disclosure of SSL private keys - LavaBit hearings

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Thu Oct 3 12:57:47 PDT 2013

[Man there's a lot of names from the old days on this list.  Good to hear
from you Lance :-]

I think the take-away from this issue is CAs should issue certifictes on
keys used for signing only.  Say its a DSA, or ECDSA which is a damn good
choice because it is not even directly possible to encrypt with it (*), and
the key usage will be marked sign only, so there is no argument about its
purpose.

Then we disable any non-forward-secret ciphersuites (and forward secret
ciphersuites are not coincidentally the only ciphersuites that work with a
signing only server key).  Then the only plausible reason to demand the
signing key is to perform a MITM not to access "encrypted data".

Firstly MITM is more work, and secondly theyd at that point just as well
play nicely and ask the operator with a subpoena to hand over some info
inside the SSL stream if there's anything useful in there.

In some countries there are explicit legal protections for signature only
keys.  At best they subpoena could ask the operator to record the session
keys via the SSL web server, however that feature is not present as far as I
know.

I also think the weak point with lavabit was probably the in-mail and
out-mail, as with silentcircle, and I presume the reason silent circle
disabled email (though they could have secured internal sc-sc mail using eg
the same end2end secure messaging architcture they use for messaging).

A further weak point of lavabit as I understand it is it was actually taking
the password to the server!!  So the user private key was in the server ram
temporarily.  Which is complete misdesign and makes you start to question
Snowden's crypto tradecraft which up to that point was looking pretty damn
strong from the news reports.

Anyway signature only keys and forward-secrecy FTW already.

About software updates, I think we've reached the point of multiple
independent public interest code review bodies with signing authority
together with the software vendor.  The other thing with opensource it can
be forked if the main vendor goes wrong or is coerced.  You see this kind of
reasoning with bitcoin foundation etc as its probably the highest open
software assurance level on the planet protecting > $1bn in bearer bitcoin
value :)

The only possible exception to the coerced code change might be the hushmail
thing thogh I am kind of fuzzy about what exactly did happen.  There were
two versions, one like lavabit (server has key temporarily) and one real
end2end as I recall and one version of the story is it was the non-end2end
one that got the user info info subpoenaed.

Adam

(*) Yes yes I know you could abuse DSA public key for another discrete
encryption log algorithm, however such practice is considered risky to reuse
an asymmetric key for two different algorithms in case there is a way to use
one as an oracle to attack the other.