Silk Road founder arrested ...

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Wed Oct 2 12:37:44 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 21:31 +0200, Adam Back wrote:
> >I also think this adds nothing to any argument over Bitcoin, because
> >again, he got caught by being dumb. Bitcoin+Tor still seems pretty
> >ironclad as a hosting platform for illegal activities.
>
> Well not so fast there, without slip by operator being reported, that guy in
> Ireland operating a ToR focussed mini-ISP got identified, and/or his clients
> did and it spilled over on to him, or whatever happened.  (That one based on
> some browser bug and jscript attack inserted by law enforcement somehow).
> High grade security is not for the careless - need to follow advise, eg ToR
> browser bundle and scripts off or such?

The "slip" in this case is that the services were hacked. Tor (neither
TOR, nor ToR) wasn't compromised.

Notice that without tools like Tor, organized cybercriminals have been
doing things like hosting child pornography for decades now. They do it
with tradecraft and occasionally botnets. What does that say about this
thread of argument (predicating the "legitimacy" of bitcoin on its
ability to be compromised)?

--
Sent from Ubuntu