Studies on user behaviour

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Wed Oct 2 06:24:48 PDT 2013

 > But there must be much more out there.

[ Shoshana Zuboff, now Emeritus, was first woman tenured at HBS ]

http://www.oldthinkernews.com/2007/12/anticipatory-conformity-will-the-growing-surveillance-panopticon-cause-us-to-self-censor/

Duke is referring to a term coined in 1988 by Harvard psychologist
Shoshana Zuboff called "anticipatory conformity."  Duke quotes
Zuboff in her explanation of the term,

"I think the first level of that is we anticipate surveillance and
we conform, and we do that with awareness," she says.  "We know, for
example, when we're going through the security line at the airport
not to make jokes about terrorists or we'll get nailed, and nobody
wants to get nailed for cracking a joke.  It's within our awareness
to self-censor. And that self-censorship represents a diminution
of our freedom."

Applying that concept to the post-9/11 era, Zuboff says she sees
anticipatory conformity all around and expects it to grow even more
intense.