Re: Meet “badBIOS,” the mysterious Mac and PC malware that jumps airgaps

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 20:44:54 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM, brian carroll
<electromagnetize at gmail.com> wrote:
> imagine you have a secure facility, locked down, faraday caged, etc,
> and a freaking marching band starts playing outside the walls...
>
> what if this sound passed through the electromagnetic barrier that
> captures EM signals, and activates or accesses hidden hardware,

SCIF's are acoustically shielded, but as we know, bass carries ;P

> perhaps not Captain Crunch in an audio port, yet what of hidden audio
> channels or dual-use components

you've now mapped an unknown infiltrated target to physical location. win!

> ...  what if
> the security system monitoring things is somehow able to communicate
> across airgaps, or -- fuckit: ZOMBIES unconsciously programmed to make
> errors or mistakes that lead to security exploits, ... cascading into an
> exploit beyond USB payloads.

the human factor always most vulnerable and most effective.  the
zombies have been trained to adhere to procedure and tactics!  you
just need to trigger the elicited response accordingly...

> what components besides a speaker can also function as microphones

you're asking what can function as covert channel.  the good new, or
bad new, as it may be, is nearly _anything_!

> hypothetical and conspiracy, though what about non-electromagnetic
> dynamics also...

Brian this is where your non-conventional, non-indoctrinated,
non-canonical thinking is particularly adept and useful. "think
outside the box" say all those who can longer do so.

keep it up; your inquiries and suppositions more accurate than you
even realize...

we got no treats this year, i think it's beyond time for tricks!