Developing an embedded, cryptographic daughter board

Joshua Datko jbdatko at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 14:16:48 PDT 2013

I'm developing a cryptographic daughter board for the BeagleBone Black
[1][2].  The design goals are to provide a "hardware-api" when an embedded
systems engineer has available to him a TPM, HWRNG, EEPROM, and some
additional hardware implemented algorithms (with embedded key storage) all
on one board.  My vision for this board is to see it used on a BeagleBone
and see someone make a cool crypto device like a USB powered wallet or an
embedded network server.

There is a small GoogleGroup [3] where we are discussing the requirements,
secure boot options, and other details and I'd like to invite the community
here to join the conversation or lurk and following along.  If there are
any Electronics Engineers, I'd especially appreciate your participation.
 I'm an embedded software guy, so while designing the PCB from scratch is a
fun challenge and I could use some backup :)

It's very much in the design phase at the moment, but I do have some
components that I'm breadboarding.  While some details are BeagleBone
centric, I think any embedded device that supplied 3.3V and supports an I2C
bus could use this board.

Josh

[1] http://datko.net/cryptocape/
[2] http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone+Black/