[ExI] chilling effects

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Oct 26 23:51:55 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-27 10:07, staticsafe wrote:
> The Geo info feature in Firefox is an API provided so that *websites*
> can ask for location info in an easy and developer friendly way.

So what is the Geo info feature doing in Thunderbird?

Further, in the default setting, websites do not ask your browser for
geolocation information.  They ask your browser if they can ask Google,
which implies that Google already had that information without ever
asking for it.

In the default settings the conversation goes like this:

Location aware website:
	Please tell us where you are.

User's Browser to user:
	Can I tell them where you are?

User:
	Sure:

User's Browser to location aware website:
	Ask Google where I am.  Google knows all.