[ExI] chilling effects

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri Oct 25 15:44:10 PDT 2013

A useful invention, or discovery, similar to that of public key
enryption, would be to devise a means to communicate such
that no communication, as we now know it, would actually occur.

Consider what ineffable thought led young Whit Diffie to imagine
PKC. He says it came to him at one point, not altogether believable
at first, thinking there must be a fault somewhere, if valid surely
it had been figured out before. As we know, it had been, by
the quiet Brits, and kept top secret.

What else like that is going on, has gone on, will gone on, all
the while evading classification at birth, not patented, not yet
institutionalized in secrecy madhouses hoarding the best and
brightest, as we know those terms of entrapment.

Consider that a non-communication ineffability has been invented,
or discovered, or is gestating in one or more young minds not
yet regimented by too much education, too much experience,
too much jaded skepticism, too little imagination, too much
comfort of reputation, salary, prizes and pensions, too much
blind faith in technology or mathematics, too much secrecy
as we know them to be crushing of novelty and waywardness.

For example, if the non-communication required no physical or
electromagnetic means but was based on say, conviction, or
concepts, or ideas, or imagination. The message would be
intuited, let us say, or grasped by deduction or induction, or
simply was shared without obvious effort except perhaps
an urge or yearning or desire or hunger or passion or insight,
or why not go for it, love.

Turns out this is not all that unusual. It is rather commonplace
if not ubiquitous. Animals do it, so do vegetables, and probably
minerals, though that is hard to say for sure, perhaps a volcanic
eruption or earthquake or asteroid is passing along content
as well as metadata.

Thought, perhaps faith, exchanges content by ineffability.

The arts, perhaps theoretical if not experimental science,
do too.

Brian Carroll has been exploring these possibilities for
some two decades. If he, then others, most of them
little known, not on the list of comsec wizards, not on
lists at all. That could be what keeps working at the level
of the successors to Diffie  -- and the Brits silenced
by the OSA..