True necessity of Records? [was: CryptoSeal]

Lance Cottrell loki at obscura.com
Fri Oct 25 09:56:17 PDT 2013

It is not an easy problem. It is hard to make reliable and maintainable systems without keeping the kinds of logs and records that law enforcement might later want.
Even if it is your policy to delete records, it is easy for a court to order you to maintain any records that you are producing.
The only safe posture is to architect systems so as to never keep those records. Unfortunately that makes all kinds of other tasks more difficult. Therefor the whole service is more expensive to run, and may be less reliable.
For a dedicated privacy service like Anonymizer, that is a reasonable tradeoff, but it will be a hard sell to phone companies and such.

This is not to say that it would not be a good thing for these companies to have a short data retention window vs. the long period they have now, but it would not provide that much additional protection.

--
Lance Cottrell
loki at obscura.com