True necessity of Records? [was: CryptoSeal]

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 12:57:51 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> And per the topic... what was the positive/negative effect in cases where
> that data wasn't available for a request?

we always had the data; i can't speak to negative effects.

> Who did the encouragement?
> Why? And what stick did they wield?

the retention period was requested by carriers using our service
(contractual obligation) as well as our own internal legal counsel (7
years retention with full off-site backups in IronMountain, etc.)

the stick was contracts/monies externally, and legal counsel internally.

to be clear, this was not a direct LEO mandate.