True necessity of Records? [was: CryptoSeal]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 11:57:28 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> this had the convenient effect of masking the origin of a caller
> through our network.  needless to say, we were strongly encouraged to
> keep all CDR records for years, precisely because some many months
> later a request would come in asking for the calling party information
> associated with one of these outbound legs.

And per the topic... what was the positive/negative effect in cases where
that data wasn't available for a request? Who did the encouragement?
Why? And what stick did they wield? Were such requests even legal
court orders?

> this is not even considering the "data analytics" reasons why carriers
> keep these detail records indefinitely...

Putting some thought into how to aggregate and
roll them up into what amounts to anonymous RRDB
summary metrics is that hard and costly? No one likes
deleting source data out of fear of not being able to produce
some miracle report that will make them 10% more profit
someday. But in the end, this is technology biz, if you can't
come up with that edge within a year or less of raw data,
you're already too old and slow and don't need it anyways.
You could just continue keep rates higher and buying your
entrenchment.