DIY RNGs [was: Re: Curious RNG stalemate [was: use of cpunks]]

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Tue Oct 22 08:27:01 PDT 2013

If the particle flux is high enough for it to be usefully rich in random
data, you could just hash the image output and use the hash outputs as
an entropy source.

However, you'd want to be careful that you:
A) Use a good hash, and perhaps double-hash to be paranoid
B) Try to measure and correct/alarm for the flux of your radioisotope as
it decays, though depending on the isotope perhaps this isn't important.

Thinking all the thoughts on this channel through, I'm beginning to
wonder if the easiest answer isn't just a vibrating surface covered in
sand with a camera pointed at it, hashing the output. :)