[liberationtech] Google Unveils Tools to Access Web From Repressive Countries | TIME.com

Alfie John alfiej at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 21 23:48:15 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013, at 04:25 AM, Yosem Companys wrote:
> UProxy allows users in the U.S. to give their trusted friends in
> Iran—people they might already be emailing or chatting with—access to
> the open U.S. Internet.

How long until the feds start issuing pen registers to users?

>  “The user in Iran can get unfiltered access to
> the Internet that’s completely uncensored and will look just like it
> does in the U.S.,” says Cohen. “It’s completely encrypted and there’s
> no way for the government to detect what’s happening because it just
> looks like voice traffic or chat traffic. We wanted to build a proxy
> service that builds on top of trusted relationships that already
> exist.”

The irony is that "the government" in the above statement can go either
way. It will be a sad day when ordinary U.S citizens get their friends
in Iran and China to use it so that their activity doesn't become
another entry in a Utah data centre.

Alfie

--
  Alfie John