Browser fingerprinting

Moon Jones mjones at pencil.allmail.net
Sat Oct 19 07:33:02 PDT 2013

On 14.10.2013 16:55, Griffin Boyce wrote:
>    In addition to the other great recommendations, I'd highly recommend
> blocking Flash if you're concerned about privacy.  Not only do flash
> cookies persist longer / are hard to block / are harder to remove, but
> it's easy to fingerprint someone via a tiny bit of flash.  Flash is also
> enabled by default on Google Chrome, so check out FlashBlock [2]. It
> also offers more granularity in case you like gaming :D

Flash is proprietary. Meaning licensing problems with the media.

Flash is closed source. Meaning it can contain anything. See the latest
talk about DLink routers.

Flash has its own bugs on top of the browser bugs.

Flash asks for rights to access the webcam.

Flash asks for rights to access the microphone.

Flash can tell on you in so many ways, including font lists.

Flash has its own way of upgrading although it's just a silly plugin and
needs a browser to do its magic.

Flash, as you wrote, has a particular type of storage.

Flash, as you wrote, needs one extension or app to remove its storage
and another extension in order to stop it from playing.

Are you sure these aren't enough reasons to remove any trace of it on a
system you own?